This document walks through how to automatically export data to a spreadsheet when new members sign up for your Glow program. Glow has an integration with Zapier, a software that enables you to send data between applications. In this case, you will use Zapier to send members from Glow to a spreadsheet tool like Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel.
Why export new member data to a spreadsheet?
By exporting data to a spreadsheet, you can record and analyze data and use that to improve processes. This improves your workflow by keeping all the information in one place and opens up new membership benefits that rely on referencing records. Here are some examples:
- Track effectiveness of promotions
- Create an email list for a newsletter
Which apps does this work with?
Using Glow’s integration with Zapier, you can send new members to any spreadsheet tool that also has an integration with Zapier. We’ve confirmed that the following spreadsheet tools work with Glow:
- Google Sheets
If your desired spreadsheet tool is not listed here, it may still work. Search the Zapier app directory or reach out to us at email@example.com.
How it works
There are three accounts you’ll need:
- A published Glow account. We also recommend creating a test member that you can use to test your setup. If you’ve signed up for your own Glow page using your email, that will work. If you haven’t, register on your Glow page in a private browser using your own email address. This will serve as an email address that you can test with in Zapier.
- An account with a supported spreadsheet tool. Inside your spreadsheet tool, you’ll also need to set up a spreadsheet with column headings for the information you want to record. Try “Name,” “Email,” and “Podcast Name.”
- A Zapier account.
Once you have these three accounts set up, create a zap to export data to a spreadsheet.
There are four steps to create your zap:
- Choose “Glow” as your App and “Listener Added” as your Trigger Event.
- Choose your desired spreadsheet tool as your second App.
- Choose an action event for creating a spreadsheet row. The specific action name will depend on the spreadsheet tool you’ve selected.
- Turn on your zap.
We’ve highlighted Google Sheets to walk through the setup. If you use a different spreadsheet tool that integrates with Zapier, you can set those up, too, with similar processes.
Step 1: Create a zap
To create a zap, click “Make a Zap!” in Zapier. Set up your zap the following way:
Step 2: Connect Glow
First, choose “Glow” for your App and “Listener Added” for your Trigger Event.
Next, Zapier will prompt you to sign into your Glow account.
Next, click “Test and Review.” You should see sample listeners. Find and select your “test member,” the member you created using your own email.
Then, click “Done Editing.”
Step 3: Connect Google Sheets
First, choose “+” to add an action. Choose “Google Sheets” for your App and “Create Spreadsheet Row” for your Action Event.
Next, Zapier will prompt you to sign into your Google account.
Next, choose the Google Drive where your spreadsheet is stored, the name of the spreadsheet you created to record new Glow members, and the specific worksheet. (If you didn’t rename the sheet, it will be “Sheet 1.”)
The zap will automatically pull the names of the column headers from your spreadsheet. Under “Name” and “Email,” click the “+” to select “Listener Email” in the dropdown list. This is the user you’ll be testing with.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
Then, click “Test and Review.” This will add your test contact to your spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
If Zapier returns a green success message, you’re all set! Go ahead to your spreadsheet on Google Drive, and you should see a new Glow member added to your spreadsheet.
Finally, click “Done Editing.”
Step 4: Turn on your zap
This part is easy! Click the “Turn Zap On” button, and you’re ready to roll.
That’s it! Now you’ve got Glow and Google Sheets working together to help you track and analyze data to better serve your podcast members.
If you haven’t done this already, we recommend automatically adding members to a newsletter list.