This document walks through how to automatically add new members who have signed up for your Glow program to an email list. Glow has an integration with Zapier, a software that enables you to send data between applications. In this case, you will use Zapier to send members from Glow to email automation tools like MailChimp, Active Campaign, Constant Contact, etc.
Why add new members to an email list?
By adding new members to an email list, you can send email communication to your members automatically. This both improves your workflow of enrolling members in an email list, and opens up new membership benefits that utilize email. Here are some examples:
- Personalized welcome email
- Members-only newsletter
- Promotions for other offerings
- Notifications for new bonus podcast episodes
Which apps does this work with?
Using Glow's integration with Zapier, you can send new members to any email automation tool that also has an integration with Zapier. We've confirmed that the following email automation tools work with Glow:
If your desired email automation tool is not listed here, it may still work. Search the Zapier app directory or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How it works
There are three accounts you'll need:
- A published Glow account. We also recommend creating a test member that you can use to test your set-up. If you've signed up for your own Glow page using your email, that will work. If you haven't, register on your Glow page in a private browser using your own email address. This will serve as an email address that you can test with in Zapier.
- An account with a supported email automation tool. Inside your email automation tool, You'll also need to set up a list designated for your Glow members.
- A Zapier account
Once you have these three accounts set up, create a Zap to add new members to an email list.
There are four steps to create your Zap.
- Choose "Glow" as your App and "Listener Added" as your Trigger Event
- Choose your desired email automation tool as your second App
- Choose an action event for adding a subscriber. The action name will depend on the email automation tool you've selected.
- Turn on your Zap
We’ve highlighted MailChimp to walk through the set-up. If you use a different email automation tool that integrates with Zapier, you can set those up, too, with similar processes.
Step 1: Create a zap
To create a Zap, click "Make a Zap" in Zapier. Set up your Zap the following way:
Step 2: Connect Glow
First, choose "Glow" for your App and "Listener Added" for your Trigger Event
Next, Zapier will prompt you to sign into your Glow account.
Next, click "Test and Review." You should see sample listeners. You should find your "test member": the member you created using your own email.
Then, click "Done Editing."
Step 3: Connect MailChimp
First, choose "+" to add an action. Choose "MailChimp" for your App and "Add/Update Subscriber" for your Action.
Next, Zapier will prompt you to sign into your MailChimp account.
Next, choose the Audience you've created in MailChimp and designated for Glow members. (MailChimp audiences act as lists.)
Under Subscriber Email, click the "+" button on the right and find "Listener Email" in dropdown list. This is the user you'll be testing with.
For more personalized emails, you'll be able to pull in First Name, too.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
Then, click "Test and Review". This will add your test contact to your Audience in MailChimp.
If Zapier returns a green success message, you're all set! Go ahead to your MailChimp account, and you should see a new Glow member added to your Audience.
Finally, click "Done Editing".
Step 4: Turn on your Zap
This part is easy! Click Turn Zap On, and you're ready to roll.
That’s it! Now you’ve got Glow and MailChimp together to help you send your new members fantastic emails.
If you haven’t done this already, we recommend automatically unsubscribing members from MailChimp who cancel their Glow membership.